Waiting for the call...



I feel nauseous and bloated, cramped and sore 
Washed out and weak, self esteem on the floor
I can’t eat the cheese, nor yoghurt or toast, 
No coffee or chocolate or Sunday roast
Like an animal in a zoo, I’m attached to my chain
Waiting for this dialysis machine to drain. 
My appetite’s gone and I’m always tired,
I feel grey, and grumpy and uninspired. 

No random trips or coffee with a friend
This is the new reality I have to contend
Too many digestives and not enough tea
This restrictive diet is killing me
Weighed at the door to check my fluid intake
That blood pressure reading must be a mistake
Potassium, Phosphorous, Protein and Sodium
If they’re out of range, there’ll be pandemonium. 

I’ve been allocated my normal chair for the night
Four hours of sitting here, no end in sight
The machine is connected there’s no getting away
I need this dialysis to get through today 
Now the alarm bell is ringing and I wake with a shock
Its nothing serious, just a tube with a block
Sometimes I wonder how I came to this point 
I’m a prisoner held at ransom, my life at gunpoint.

I pass the time writing my new Bucket List 
Only now there’s a small, but important twist
I’m not asking for a trip to Rome or Sicily
Instead I want a stranger to rescue me 
I’ve never met you before, I don’t know who you are, 
But will you be my lifesaving organ donor? 
Seven calls down and still no find
Every day’s a struggle to keep a positive frame of mind.

Then something happened and it changed everything. 
It was Thirty One March, Two Thousand Sixteen.
No time to worry, to think, or to pray
I knew when I woke up it would be a new day.
Without my organ donor there would be no story 
No message of hope, salvation or glory
This poem is dedicated to honour her generous heart
For turning sorrow to hope when she had to depart.

I got my transplant that day and you changed everything. 

Comments

  1. What an awe inspiring poem x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely inspiring . Such an incredibly brave lady! Godspeed ,Suzanne.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment