Reconnected: OFF LINE

Surrounded by cardboard boxes, parcel tape and my third pair of scissors, my precious possesions have been relegated to boxed living. I've parcelled up my favourite coffee mug, folded the extra linen and strapped in my plasma TV... I'm on a roll!

Only: I've been stopped in my tracks by a CareBear stickered envelope covered in red hearts and the letters: S.W.A.K written on the back! (Sealed with a kiss).

My first letter home sent to my parents when I went to boarding school... (written at the obligatory 1 hour letter writing session held on Sunday nights, before being allowed a glass of Oros and a biscuit..)  

      Dear Mom and Dad,
      How are you? I am fine. This week has     
      been very long.
      I have made friends with two girls called 
      Mandy and Louise.
      They are also in Mrs Gower's class. I miss 
       you very, very,very, very, very, very much.
     
What time will you come to fetch me next Friday?
I love you lots,
 Lots of love and buckets full of kisses, 
Suzanne
                                           
I could almost feel the homesickness all over again, and imagine the feeling of receiving this letter on the other end.

There have been other significant and possibly less memorable letters of course - the first letter from a boy (Zirk).. the letters we used to pass around in the studyhall, from desk to desk..the long awaited letter confirming my move to Madrid...

The best letters come in unexpected  brightly coloured envelopes, hand written and possibly licked with a foreign stamp.The writer having taken time to ponder  their words before committing them to ink, used their personal caligraphy in the delivery of their anecdotes and done this all soley for the purpose of connecting.

I received one of these letters the other day from a friend who I haven't seen in six years... and decided to write back. An email reply was out of the question... a quick fix equivalent to using two minute noodles and calling it "Thai cooking"..?! Only a handwritten response would do, and despite the surrounding chaos of unpacked boxes I felt as if writing this letter by hand would be like meeting up for a coffee and catching up in person.
Sitting and contemplating what I wanted to say before committing myself to paper, using my newly purchased gel ink pen to record the words, I started wrting.. The words poured out, almost writing themselves, and it felt as if the converstation with my long ago friend had resumed..

Since putting my words in an envelope and pasting my own foreign stamp, I've decided to brighten someone else's day with an unexpected handwritten invitation to ignore their " unpacked boxes" and rediscover the pleasure of a thoughtfully written letter...

Lots of love
(and buckets full of kisses.. ; P  )

Zanne xx

Comments