Blue socks and free advice... Positive things about being on crutches

So it's back to crutches and yes: I was feeling really sorry for myself..
I mean: who wouldn't when you have to cancel your dream holiday to NY and Boston, walk around with a heavy black boot, and ditch the (ab fab) shiny new briefcase for a backpack that would make a computer hacker feel ashamed...

BUT

I've decided to set myself the challenge of finding at least 40 POSITIVE THINGS that have happened as a direct result of me being back in a cast... I'm going to add to this list for all the remainder of my treatment period - so watch this space

1. I get the best parking spot at work
2. I've spoken to 12 random (friendly) strangers in the last 2 weeks
3. I finally have definition in my arms (bee stings I like to call them)
4. I was given the best hotel room (I did flirt outrageously, but I think the cast was a sympathy vote!)
5. My colleagues bring me tea everyday and I don't have to reciprocate
6. A pro-athlete asked me if I was using a new training method (he saw my blue rubber swimming sock!) - and i got some training tips in exchange
7. I was late for an appointment and could blame it on the crutches...

19 June 2013
8. The parking fairy saved me £2 today... When I leant my crutches agains the parking machine and they fell over, a stranger kindly picked them up and put £2 into the machine

23 June 2013
9. I may not be in NY this week but Im now able to a friend who I haven't seen in 6 years... An impromptu visit to London and we get to meet! I feel blessed that she's chosen to spend her short time seeing me ( I mean: Harry is single and he's in town....) : )

26 June 2013
10. 4 people offered me their seat on the London Underground today... including during rush hour.
(I should use crutches more often... wonder if it will work when I want an airline upgrade? :)

6 July 2013
11. I actually allowed myself to sit at a street cafe and drink a frappaccino.. reading a book in the sun... and didn't feel guilty about taking time out to do nothing.

12. A (rather good looking) stranger started a conversation across the table from me, simply because he saw my crutches... (are these magnetic crutches..?!)

2 Aug 2013
13. Got priority boarding and check in on my flight to and from Barcelona!

14.  A kind stranger carried my bag throughout the airport all the way to the exit door

21 Aug
15. I managed to get through US customs in under 10 mins!!

16. Walking into a restaurant, someone actually got up from their table to come and open the door for me (The Americans are SO friendly!)

17.  One of my crutches got used as a lambada stick on the dance floor!.. if nothing else it sure provided  some great entertainment

18. Today I walked past a lady who was also on crutches and we shared a secret "yeah: you too" smile. In any normal daily process how often do we smile at strangers? 

19. I always get to sit in the front seat of the car if we travel anywhere with more than 2 of us in the car! (Best views and more legroom.. what's not to like?!). 




Comments