Lessons from a woodpecker...

Question: When is a slap against your forehead a good thing?
Answer: When you realise you've been woodpecked...

From somewhere, a voice inside, like a little woodpecker, pecking at your forehead.. insessant, irritating and a little unnerving... you don't quite know what it's trying to get at, but it makes you feel uneasy. The glazed look, narrowed eyes staring into the distance accompanied by a wrinkeld forehead..

You want to ignore it, move the thought aside. Only it keeps coming back. But this time, you pick at your own conscience for doubting the source... I start to think about the situation, scheming up reasons and explanations.. anything to prove that I'm not being taken for a "pecker"!

And then: WHACK!! As I hit my forehead, palm down, in realisation...

I KNOW! Call it woman's intuition. The 6th sense. ESP or "vast amounts of backtracking"... but somehow the little woodpecker has broken through and brought it all to light. I've been lied to..

Oh the embarrassment!
To think that I'm thought of as that silly and naive? To think that my little woodpecker took that long to peck through the debris that is my brain! What to do, oh what to do?
If its one thing I've learned, its to pay better attention to my little woodpecker, to listen to my instincts.
As the Latin proverb says: Nothing reaches the intellect before making it's appearance on the senses...

FIRST LESSON for 2011: To thine own self be true...

Comments