Lessons learned in 5 minutes...

Hi everyone..
I know: I know: it's been ages!
I've been so lucky to have spent the months of Sept and Oct travelling parts of Europe: learning a few life lessons along the way... Such as:


Country: Russia
Lesson learned:
 Russian policemen are hardcore!

In Russia I learned that their police force cannot be bribed...
How?
We were filming our company video in the Red Square, and what do you know: a police car rocks up...
1st officer: You cannot film here (waves index finger left to right).
2nd officer: (stands looking at our camera equipment and team, being inquisitive).
Suzanne: Please: join us! We would love to have you in our movie.
1st officer; No - move along, over there, to the bridge, out of the Red Square. You cannot film in the Red Square.
2nd officer: (looking almost tempted, decides not to have some fun, and simply gets back in the car.
Next time: maybe I should bring a bottle of vodka?


Country: Istanbul
Lesson learned: How to REALLY multitask!

In Istanbul I'd been warned about the taxi drivers. No GPS systems for these daredevils.. ! Not only will they ram themselves, nose first into the traffic, but seat belts are not an option (they're not available in the backseat).
My driver nodded his little head "Yes: I know where this address is"...
2 minutes out of the hotel car lot and he's on a call to his friend to ask for directions. Only for his 2nd phone to ring and he answers that too!!! Now he's driving with NO hands and speaking into 2 handsets...
OMG: He puts the average women to "multi tasking" shame!

Country: Spain (Vitoria):
Lesson learned: Surprises in the most unlikely places
I was invited out for tapas with the local Business director and a colleague.. to a place which serves the most amazing pintxos (tapas). Everything was running smoothly and we were enjoying the local Rioja (red wine)...until I was told to try one of this restaurants most famous pinxos...
A little golden pastry square, which I had to pop into my mouth, whole, with the audience waiting in expectation for my exclamation of rapture...
AAAhhhhh only for the filling to run smoothly out of the parcel as I took my first bite.. UUUGGGHHhh: raw egg!
And ofcourse I couldn't spit it out, but had to swallow and politely decline the last one...

Country: Poland
Lesson learned: Don't dig around in your soup
Ok.. so being a complete novice at this, I thought I'd try the local food and for lunch on the first day, this happened to be Zur aka Zurek (made with sausage, potato, parsely and I later discovered... EGG!).
I was delicately sipping my soup, having a good look at each spoonful before placing it into my mouth, when... I plunged in my spoon and saw a round, bright yellow "eyeball" surface as I brought it out of the liquid.
What the heck??!
Turns out it was the yolk of an egg.. and well: that did it!
From now on I will only skim the surface of any foreign soup and leave the lucky dip for when I'm really hungry!

Next stop: Holland...
Ok: I know about the clogs, the red light district and the bicyles. Not sure what I'll see, learn and experience there, but I hope it's the type of thing I wouldn't be embarrased to share with you all on my blog!

Comments