The Lycra revival...

Blood pumping, fast breathing,  arms aching... this is not for the faint hearted nor is it the follow up chapter to "50 shades of Grey"... Although this is a story of rekindled passion, the route of it's becoming is a little less racy (despite the fact that it does include lycra...)

I've recently returned to the pool - that space of chlorine smelling, adrenaline filled discipline that I swore as a teenager would never be repeated. Ok.. ignore the reference to discipline as we step safely away from the "shades of grey" towards the shades of aqua blue.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever get myself back into a swimming costume, having lived in the UK and not seeing the sun for about 6000 days. Add to that the recalled  embarrassment  of bright green hair after a season of training, and my reasons for not attempting the pool have a strong link to not wanting to look like 'swamp thing' when I next walked into a meeting.

But gone back I have - and I'm loving it!  
Slowly slowly, feeling like a champion after my first session of 20 lengths, having to drag myself back on day 3 for a repeated intimacy with the kicka board, a look at the lifeguard and horror of horrors, the ladies  change room - I'm now a regular, and managing to do 1,5km at a time.

The difference is I'm now wearing lycra because I WANT to and I love the feeling of achievement and endorphins coursing around my veins after an hour of pushing myself. The flushed cheeks as I walk out of the change room  making me look as if I've just read a chapter of said book of Grey... I really am hooked.
Who knows where this is all heading... but like any encounter that that speeds up the heart and puts a smile on your face, it's about enjoyment and being happy that you've found something that brings such simple pleasure.

DIVE IN EVERYONE.. and find your pulse!



Comments